Tips for the Savvy Traveller by Wayne Liddy RLP Peifer Realty Onc. Chatham-Kent
Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 05:10:00 PM
Tips For The Savvy Traveller
Many people are travelling during the holidays either for family visits or a vacation. A lot of the schools do not resume until January 7/19 making it possible to leave after Christmas and still be home on time. Although a lot of people have chosen to stay closer to home with the US dollar being so high, there are still some of us who are travelling and have flights booked to various sunny locations over the Christmas season. The cost is up for flights, there does not seem to be many bargain prices especially at this time of year but watch for groupon specials or last minute if you can arrange your schedule. The Internet advertises one price but by the time you pay for luggage, taxes and on some airlines, even your seat, the cost is not what you thought so beware!
Many savvy travellers are giving baggage costs and the hassle of checking luggage a second thought. Going with just carry-on luggage that fits into the overhead bin and a personal item seems to be the most economical way to go and the easiest. No waiting at baggage pickup and if, heaven forbid, your luggage is lost or delayed, you don't have to worry! Most airlines allow one carry-on bag measuring 22' X 14' X9" and a personal item such as a tote bag that you can put under the seat in front of you at no charge but today you often have to pay. Be sure to check your individual airline for their costs. Some of the discount airlines have started to charge for carry-on, so be careful and consider this additional charge when comparing prices. Going with just carry-on makes smart packing a must so here are a few tips to help you make the right wardrobe choices and the easiest essential item inclusions.
1) Toiletries such as shampoo, lotions and even hair dryers are provided by most hotel chains and condo rental companies. If you have personal choices you can't live without, remember containers have to be flight-friendly and under 100 mls. Containers for this can be found in any dollar store and take up very little room.
2) If you need your Skin Care of choice, Artistry in my wife's case, you can sometimes get minis of those essential items which are great for packing. If they are unavailable, transfer product to small dollar store bottles and label.
3 Be sure to put your passport and other necessary documents such as confirmed airline reservations, car rental reservations, directions to your hotel, hotel reservations and a pen to fill out custom forms in your personal item ( tote bag) This is where side pockets on your tote can really be handy. Other items to put in your tote are sunglasses, a book, reading glasses and a snack. This will make items needed at check-in and on the flight easily accessable.
4) Wardrobe Choices:
Men are much simpler. A bathing suit, shorts, long pants,a cotton shirt to wear to the pool, a couple of light cotton shirts for dinner or sightseeing and some underwear will suffice. Pack a pair of sandal and wear the heaviest pair of shoes for your long pants on the flight.
Woman are more difficult. It may take some planning to make packing concise but it will be worth it in the long run. Remember you can wear the same thing twice. Consider a color scheme which makes mixing and matching easy. The same pant with a different top looks entirely different. Check your closet. The colors may be black and white or perhaps navy and teal or black and taupe.There are a few essential items: a bathing suit, a coverup which can double as a dress for evening, a pair of capris, pants or jeggings and a couple of interchangeable tops.Throw in some underwear and a sleep shirt and you are all set. Shoes are always a problem. Try to limit the number of shoes to three. Take a pair of sandals, a pair of suitable walking shoes and a dressier sandal for evening, colorful ones which are very versatile or a metallic which go with everything. My wife's choice is a black and white so shoes are easy. Include a nice silk scarf to give your outfits a bang and metallic jewelry which will goes with anything.
5) Check the weather report and if you are in for some cooler weather, wear your jacketsfor the flight and put them in the overhead instead of packing them.
6) Packing: use tissue paper between clothing items. This keeps down wrinkling. Put shoes in plastic grocery bags and always pack them with heels at the corner of the suitcase. Fill them with sox and underwear.
7) When you reach your destination unpack your bags and hang wrinkled items in the bathroom where the steam from your showers will smooth out the wrinkles without ironing.
I hope these tips help you have an easy stress free vacation. Happy Holidays from Wayne Liddy 519-436-4810 Royal LePage Peifer Realty Inc. Brokerage. Call me at 519-436-4810 for all your Real Estate needs and visit my website for Chatham-Kent Events, Happenings and Choice Properties for sale in this affordable lifestyle location.